Considering Invisalign In San Francisco?
At our dental office in San Francisco, we handle many Invisalign cases and see common questions patients have. To help patients who are considering Invisalign to improve their smile, we have put together this guide.
If you have any questions, please email Dr B directly at DrB@SFFamilyDentistry.com or call us at 415-636-0883. We are always happy to answer your questions.
If you have insurance we can check and let you know if they would cover your Invisalign treatment, just fill in this secure online form now.
Also, please ask us about a free Invisalign consult in our San Francisco Dental office.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is an orthodontic system based on the use of removable aligners. These aligners are specifically designed so that they exert precise and controlled forces onto your teeth so that they become better aligned. Importantly, the aligners are made from a transparent material, so they are invisible to people around you.
Steps Involved in Treatment with Invisalign
Getting your teeth straightened with the Invisalign clear aligners requires extensive investigations and planning before the treatment can be initiated. The treatment lasts over several months and visits so it is important to work with a dentist you are comfortable with.
The following steps are involved in treatment with the Invisalign aligners:
- Pre-operative Investigations – before starting the treatment, your dentist will perform a thorough clinical examination of your teeth, in addition to having a detailed look at your dental records such as gypsum models of your teeth and x-rays. These investigations are performed so as to formulate a comprehensive treatment plan that is specifically tailored to your dental needs.
- Making a Digital Impression – unlike the braces where a physical impression of your teeth is made in impression trays, impressions for making Invisalign aligners are recorded digitally with the help of an intra-oral camera.
- Fabrication of the Aligners – the digital impression of your teeth will then be fed into a computer and sent to the laboratory for fabrication of the prosthesis. By using the digital impression, the aligners are designed in such a way that they will exert forces on your teeth, which will result in the desired tooth movement and alignment.
- Wearing Your New Invisalign Aligners! - Once patients receive their new Invisalign aligners, they have to wear it for at least 22 hours in a day for a period of two weeks. In a month or so another impression of their teeth will be made, and based on the progress of the treatment, new aligners will be made for the impression which will continue to force the teeth into better alignment. In this way, each aligners is replaced with a new one after every two weeks or so, until the desired results have been achieved.
- Retention Phase – once the required tooth alignment has been performed, the dentist must ensure that the teeth remain in their new position and do not move back into their crowded or misaligned state. Invisalign® offers Vivera retainers that have specifically been made for keeping from going back to their previous position. However, the last used Invisalign aligner can also work as a retainer.
Let’s have a look at why Invisalign might be a good orthodontic treatment option for you:
- Improved Oral Hygiene – brushing your teeth properly can be quite difficult when you are wearing teeth braces, as the toothbrush is unable to reach and clean the tiny spaces between the braces. This can result in the development of teeth cavities and infections.
- Superior Esthetics – Invisalign aligners are transparent, and therefore not visible to anyone. This means that now you can smile with a confidence that you are looking great, even when you are wearing your aligners.
- Convenience – Unlike the braces which are attached to your teeth, you can easily remove your Invisalign aligners for eating or cleaning purposes.
- Enjoy Any Food You Like – the first thing that dentists tell you after getting braces is to avoid eating chocolates, candies and hard food substances. This means that you have to let go of most of your favorite food items. On the other hand, you don’t have to wear the Invisalign aligners while you eat, therefore you can eat all types of food that you love, without disturbing or hampering your orthodontic treatment.
- Repairable and Replaceable – accidentally broken you aligner? Don’t worry, you can get it repaired quickly by sending the broke aligners to the dental lab. You can even get a new one in case you have lost your previous aligners.
If you are here in San Francisco and have further questions on Invisalign please ask us about a free Invisalign consult.
Caring for Your Invisalign Retainers
Like every other dental prosthesis, you should take care of your aligners if you want to achieve the best results out of your orthodontic treatment. Here are a few tips on how to look after your aligners:
- Wash Your Aligners Regularly – you should wash your aligners regularly, especially immediately after you eat or drink anything so that all the food particles are washed away before your wear them again.
- Wash with Lukewarm water – your aligners can get damaged if you wash them with very hot water. Lukewarm water is best for washing of your Invisalign aligners.
- Adhere to Dentist’s Instructions – if you want to achieve the best results from your treatment, you should follow your dentist’s instructions in terms of usage and duration of wearing of the dentures.
If you are looking for an Invisalign dentist in San Francisco, please call or email us for a free consult!
DrB@SFFamilyDentistry.com or Ph: 415-636-0883